Recovering strongly from crisis through Resilience Engineering [update April 23, 2020]
Dr. Alexander Stolz, Daniel Hiller, Dr. Tobias Leismann
Fraunhofer-Institut für Kurzzeitdynamik, Ernst-Mach-Institut, EMI
Where we stand from a resilience perspective: continuing Protect&Response in the U.S., Europe starts Recovery process
In countries like Denmark, Austria and Germany first Recovery-measures have been implemented and some easing measures for the economy have been put in place. At the same time, Germans are faced with the legal obligation to wear masks, a Protect-Measure intending to not threaten the Recovery-process. In the U.S., the situation remains extremely tense, in some metropolitan areas like New York City the health care system has reached its absolute load limits.
With the concept of Resilience Engineering in mind, how is it best possible to collect and evaluate the gathered insights and experiences of the past weeks? Beyond that we need to ask the overall question: As an organization or company, will we manage a similar crisis in the future – e.g. a second corona wave – better than today?
In order to help organizations to find a clear answer to this question we have developed the Fraunhofer Resilience Evaluator (FREE) at our institute Fraunhofer EMI. We can use this tool to assess our company’s resilience. The FREE-Tool offers:
- A 360-degree analysis of our overall resilience, regarding all measures before, during and after a crisis
- The mapping of our individual company structures and -resources
- A quantitative assessment of our strengths and weaknesses within the various resilience phases
- A visual overview of the current status of our resilience activities, hence a well-arranged management tool for a company’s senior leadership.
With our FREE tool we support other companies and organizations to measure and optimize their resilience:
- Contact us!
- We will get in touch with you and provide you with a user-account for our FREE tool.
- In a personal conversation we are delighted to go into the details about different functionalities and assessment options.
- For a more in-depth analysis we are happy to design a joint project together with you.